A short history of Winton United Reformed Church

Winton Church was founded as an 'out-station' of the Church at Throop in 1868 with a Mission Hall which passed into the hands of the Bournemouth Church (currently known as Richmond Hill St Andrews) in 1869.

A 'new' church was opened on 9th March 1884, situated in Wimborne Road, at a cost of not less than £1,750. In 1894, 74 members transferred from Richmond Hill to form the new Winton Congregational Church which became fondly known as 'The Church on the Hill'. Originally built to seat 350, an extension opened in 1912 led to a very flourishing Church not only capable of holding 600, but actually holding such a number for we read frequently of the Church being 'filled to capacity'.

In 1980 it was reluctantly decided that the building was no longer suitable for the present size of congregation. The site was sold and some of the proceeds were used to build the modern Church on the present site off Luther Road, which opened in October 1981.

In 1972 the Congregational Church in England & Wales joined with the Presbyterian Church to form the United Reformed Church in England & Wales. Since then, first the Churches of Christ and then Scottish Congregationalists, have joined the URC.

Winton URC celebrated 25 years in the present building on the 1st weekend in October 2006.

The brief details of the early years have been taken from a story and history prepared by Mr Leslie A Dyer for the centenary celebrations held in 1968.